Storyteller
Welcome to Storyteller

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Storyteller
Welcome to Storyteller
Storyteller
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alchemist part One

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Alchemist part One Empty Alchemist part One

Post  Admin September 21st 2009, 6:52 am

The smell of incense and different kinds of perfume hung heavy in the air, making Allen wince with every lady and gentleman that approached him and his mother to offer their condolences. The dimly lit room was filled with bustling mounds upon mounds of lacy black, veils and feathered hats, ties and silver canes. Insignificant little details swam before his eyes as he numbly presented his cheek to sympathetic kisses and his hand to grim handshakes and hugs. His mother too seemed robotic, her hands folded tightly her lap, face ashen and expressionless as her golden eyes stared dumbly at the casket in the front of the room, Not one straw colored hair was out of place, but even then it looked like she had dragged herself to where she was sitting.

Allen had tried to reach out and place his hand on hers, but she'd only stiffened and so he had pulled back, eyes falling to the floor and staying there. He wouldn't look into the wooden box containing his father's body. He couldn't. Every time he tried, he was filled with an overwhelming anger and despair that shook the breath out of his very lungs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://storyteller.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Alchemist part One Empty Re: Alchemist part One

Post  *~MoE~* September 21st 2009, 7:33 am

Kalyan was uncomfortable. More uncomfortable than he had been in a long time. Crowds were stressing enough, but funeral crowds were so... so emotional and unpredictable.

But nothing was more unsettling than a body in a casket. Especially when it was someone you knew in life. Death had a terrible way of mutating a loved one's face into something entirely different than what it used to be. The face in this particular casket had once been a brilliant, charming man with radiant blond hair and eyes that shined with intelligence.

Kalyan couldn't ignore the ache in his chest that belied his chilly thoughts. He wasn't immune to the grief that rippled around the gathered individuals at random intervals. He carried his own. Terrance had been an amazing father, a wonderful companion, the perfect student (as his father had constantly bragged) and a great teacher. Kalyan hadn't known a man filled with more wisdom. He couldn't count all of the times that he had talked to the man for hours at a time, sharing deep thoughts and comparing experiences.

The thought that he would never have the chance for another chat with Terrance brought a terrible ache to Kalyan's chest.

That ache was alight in Kalyan's father's eyes. Mr. Ouroboros's face was ashen and clammy with grief as he peered into the casket. His growing age showed for the first time in a long time. He seemed to have a great weight on his shoulders that caused them to hunch ever so slightly. Kalyan stood at the back of the viewing area, watching his father pay his respects to Ashley. He spoke a few soft words to her, then patted young Allen's shoulder as he moved away.

Speaking of Allen....

Kalyan peered at the youngster's face, saddened even more by the look in his pupil's eyes. He took a step away from the wall, heading in the direction of the boy, but found his father in his path. Kalyan looked at him, frowning. His father seemed angry, somehow, and Kalyan wasn't sure what had caused it.

"For God's sake boy!," his father hissed at him. "If you can't be sad because of the loss of Terrance, at least have the moral decency to look sympathetic! You look like a badger whose nest has been trampled over as they stare the perpetrator in the face! How sickening. You are such a cold bastard. I thought you liked that man and his boy. I guess I was wrong!," he snapped, his eyes cold. "If you can't act appropriately, then get out. I don't want you associated with me when you're like this."

Pained by the verbal strike, Kalyan hesitated in place, unsure if he should go after his father or continue on his way. In the end, he decided that his father could wait -at least he would have time to calm down before Kalyan put himself in his path once again. Quietly, Kalyan slipped up with two single roses decorated by black ribbon clasped in his hand. He placed one delicately behind Ashley's ear, then leaned in to whisper in her ear.

"You know where I am if you need a friend," he said simply, then he moved -silent as the shadows- to stand behind Allen. He made a similar motion, but put the rose in the front pocket of the boy's dark, Victorian-style suit instead. He stepped up to the boy's side, but made a point not to touch him.

"My condolences," Kalyan murmured quietly, peering off at the far wall rather than Allen. "His is a terrible loss."
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin September 27th 2009, 1:40 am

Allen felt the touch to his breast pocket and slowly lifted his head up, ready to once again go through the motions of accepting another stranger's condolences. But the face he saw before him was one he knew, and his shoulders slumped in emotional defeat, and relief. At last someone who wasn't just a passerby in his life, or too grief-stricken to speak to. Like his mother.

His mother made no motion to indicate that she had seen or heard Kalyan, eyes still frozen on the casket, as if staring at it long enough would bring Terrance back to life.

"Kalyan..." he mumbled hoarsely, searching the man's face as if searching for answers to rid himself of all this anger and black despair. He found nothing, only more confusion, just like when the red head was tutoring him.

He nodded hollowly at Kalyan's words, and let his head back down to stare at his hands. It was a small relief when he didn't feel Kalyan's presence fade away, but stay behind him through the rest of the viewing. He didn't think he would have been able to stand those hours just sitting silently beside his mother, who didn't respond to any comforts he tried to give her.

She was like a slab of granite towards him, cold and distant, and when the viewing ended, he could only stare silently as her Nurse friends lead her away and to her room, Her not even glancing once at him.

People filed out the doors, passing pats on his shoulder as he stood by the door politely, ruffles of his hair and various words meant to make him feel better only made Allen all the more alone.

"He was a good man."

"Be strong for your mother."

"Make him proud."

"Terrance was so proud of you."

All worthless to him because Terrance wasn't here anymore!His face was red with suppressed tears, throat swollen as he glanced back to the casket. And all he could feel was despair. Like a hooked, black claw clamping around his heart, squeezing until he could barely breathe, but not putting him out of his misery.

Why?He didnt get it.

Allen made his way stiffly to the open casket an placed his hands on the sides, staring down at his father's face. Just looking at the face that had smiled down at him only days ago made his throat close up, and his stomach twist into an unbearable knot. Just a few days ago, and now.

Now he was alone.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* September 27th 2009, 8:54 am

Kalyan watched helplessly as Allen's inner turmoil and agony appeared as a grimace on the boy's face. The motions of the boy's body was stiff, and the look in Allen's eyes as enough to send shivers of distress down Kalyan's arms. That face was the physical manifestation of the chaos with Kalyan, but one that he himself could not express.

It made him feel so helpless to know that he could do so little to alleviate the pain in either of them.

He remained silent for a long moment as the boy peered at his cold, motionless father and wondered what sort of awful thoughts were circling through his mind.

Quietly, he stepped up to stand behind Allen. He placed a hand on the top of the boy's head and ruffled his hair -an action that he often did when they were finishing a difficult Chemistry problem. He hovered at the boy's side, knowing that he could say nothing to offer much comfort at all to his pupil.

"You should let it out, you know," Kalyan said gently. "Keeping in all of that built up emotion can't be good for your mind. You want to cry and scream about it, right? Do it. There's no one left to judge you for it. Your mother is no longer here to be damaged by it. There's only me, and I know how it is to need to stop caring about everything else in order to vent."

He moved his gaze from the wall to Terrance, and then to the son that he had left behind. He felt the expression on his own face begin to swirl with a blend of warmth and cold. His smile was cold. Forced. His eyes were warm in an attempt to help Allen in some perverse fashion.

"See? The two of us are all alone now."
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin September 28th 2009, 6:48 am

Allen started at the sudden touch, then looked up to see Kalyan. He'd thought everyone had left already. Golden eyes glanced around the room, confirming that yes, everyone had already left except Kalyan and himself. And of course, his father's body.

At Kalyan's suggestion of letting out his emotions, he snorted, but smiled in amusement at the older red head. His hands fell away from the wooden casket, feeling texture of that smooth wooden box lined in white satin forever ingrained itself into his memory. "You know for someone who is perfect at almost everything he does, " he said softly, not in insult, but as his own way of playfully saying thanks, "You're really terrible at emotional stuff yourself."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* September 28th 2009, 7:17 am

It was Kalyan's turn to snort and smile. "I'm not even close to perfect with anything at all, little man," he said in the closest manner that he had to playfulness. "But I am especially defective in this because my feet tend to get lodged and stuck in emotional goo." He shrugged. "At least I'm not alone in that department."

~~~~~

Outside of Kalyan's home, thunder rumbled in a dark sky and large sheets of rain threw themselves against the glass windows. Lightening cracked and singed the night air with the ferocity of an angry goddess. Wind ripped at the wood of the mansion, howling and slamming against the shutters.

Kalyan barely took any notice. His entire focus was on the alchemical formula before him. His left hand took notes as his right added more elixirs and potions to the mix. His eyes were glued on his work, and no distractions were dividing his mind.

This is how he had spent the past few weeks. Without Terrance around to socialize with, Kalyan had found himself with much more time to devote to his favorite fascination: Alchemy. Since the viewing and funeral, he had spent the majority of his time there, in their home basement -which he had converted into a sort of workplace- constructing experiments off all sorts.

He was just thankful that his father was away. Mr. Ouroboros had the most awful tendency to curse at him and interrupt his work when he found Kalyan working down there. Kalyan had the entire house to himself -since his father had departed on a business trip out of the country- and he had been enjoying every moment of it.

He was just reaching for another ingredient to his brew when the doorbell rang shrilly throughout the home. Annoyance flickered over Kalyan's face, and he started to ignore it. He picked up the ingredient, but paused, groaned, and eventually went to open the door.

Fighting a scowl, he stomped up the basement stairs and tugged the front door open. He peered down at the intruder, prepared to tell them exactly how 'happy' he was to see them , but froze as the face before him registered in his distracted mind. None other than Terrance's own child, Allen, stood there in the midst of the storm, his hair messy and plastered to his head -dripping with the cold rain, and his clothes soaked through.

But what caused Kalyan's annoyance to backtrack and vanish entirely was the look of utmost misery that coated the boy's stance and facial expression. Taken aback, Kalyan frowned at him.

"Well hello," he said, pushing away the last remaining thoughts on his experiment. "Why in the world did you come here in a storm like this?" He ushered the boy inside and closed the door behind him. He snatched up a towel that they kept near the door just for such occasions and handed it to Allen so that he could begin to dry himself off a bit. Kalyan would likely end up allowing him to change into some of his own clothes. Allen would catch his death in cloth as wet as his garments....

Last edited by *~MoE~* on October 2nd 2009, 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin September 28th 2009, 7:38 am

The blond glanced up at Kalyan when the door opened and was assaulted by the quiet warmth of the house. He looked like a wet dog, honestly, dripping wet, trousers and shoes muddy, hair untied. It all added to his miserable appearance, but the thought of a person perhaps welcoming him inside brought a small relief to his face.

"Sorry," he mumbled, taking the offered towel and wiping his face with it, then his hair. For a moment, he only stared at the ground, unable to look his tutor in the eye as he dried himself. The silence between them, however, stretched too long, and finally he handed the towel back with a soft thanks, and mumbled, "I... I didn't want to stay at home when it's always empty... it's too quiet."

Another glance around the entrance of the large house told him that either only Kalyan was at home, or both the elder Ouroboros' had already gone to bed. He couldn't see the light from a fireplace coming from underneath any of the door sills, and the only noises he could hear was the soft humming of the telegraph 's mineral stone whirling in it's gears. But by the look of Kalyan, Allen could tell he had't woken the man up. He was still wearing "work-clothes" despite the late hour, and he didn't look drowsy at all. He'd only looked slightly put off at the beginning.

Finally, Allen let his eyes look up at Kalyan's face, "Did I interrupt something? Were you working?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* September 29th 2009, 5:21 am

At Allen's long awaited, yet soft answer, Kalyan nodded quietly. He wondered where his mother had gone off to, but then reprimanded himself. Even if she had been home, then she wouldn't be much more company than the chair that she always seemed to occupy nowadays.

The house might as well have been empty but for little Allen.

He hesitated before he answered Allen's question, resisting the urge to throw one last, longing glance at the closed door that led down to his basement laboratory. "I... was working, but it is nothing that can not wait until tomorrow."

He looked over Allen and his drenched, muddy clothes, then shook his head. "Come. Let's get you into something dry before you get sick." Without any further prompting, he turned and took long strides up the stairs and down the hall until he reached his bedroom. Quickly, he tugged a warm, comfy outfit from his closet and made his way back to Allen -who hadn't moved from that spot yet.

Kalyan held the clothes out in a sort of offering for Allen, as well as a bigger, fuzzy towel that would act as a warm blanket -even after he dried off with it. "I'm not sure if this will fit you well, but it's better than what you've got on now, don't you think?"
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin October 1st 2009, 10:26 am

((this song is so cute for them XD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95INBkovJ8 ))

"...Thank you," Allen mumbled quietly taking the spare clothes from Kalyan and starting to unbutton his coat but then paused and looked up sheepishly at the red head. "I don't suppose I could impose on your powder room, could I? I don't think we're on quite so familiar terms as that I can undress in front of you." The shy request turned into his customary teasing as he took the towel next and brushed past towards a closed door on the farther side of the entrance hall.

He smiled back at Kalyan in case the man tried to follow him in his obvious concern. "Don't worry. I know where it is. Just spare a few seconds and I'll be back out," he said, closing the door behind him with one last smile towards his tutor.

As promised, it took only a few moments to change out of his stiff, soaked through clothes and into the white blouse and dark trousers that Kalyan had given him. To be honest, despite the fact that they were a bit large on him, they were much more comfortable than the traditional breeches that the old fashioned families usually wore. Thank goodness Kalyan was more of a modernist, unlike the elder Ouroboros, a strict traditionalist.

He hadn't even bothered tying his hair back, letting the long gold tresses fall across his shoulders in a much more relaxed manner.

"What were you working on?" he suddenly asked, walking up to Kalyan with his wet clothes in arm ad the fuzzy towel around his shoulders. He wanted to talk about something, anything except the reason he was here instead of back home. And hopefully, if he steered any conversation to what Kalyan could talk about the most, then he'd be safe from any questions.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 2nd 2009, 4:55 am

Kalyan watched Allen move away -uncertain as always on how to deal with his constant teasing. With a small shake of his head, Kalyan made quick work of the small puddle that had formed underneath Allen's feet, then he hung the towel he'd used up to dry.

A flash of lightening from the corner of his eye caught his attention, and he stopped to peer out of the window into the darkness.

What a terrible night. Such a strong storm.... He wondered if his father was well. Carriage rides were terribly dangerous in such weather, and moving on foot would be even more terrible. He hoped that he was safe and dry in someplace warm. Mr. Ouroboros could be a terrible pain in the neck at times, but he was still Kalyan's father. And despite the man's stubbornness, he was still getting on in his years -weather like this would be the death of him....

He didn't look away from the storm as Allen returned, but the question that the boy asked pricked a nerve. He snapped the curtains closed with a jerk of his hand and twirled around to face him, his smile a bit chilly. "That would be a bit confidential, dear Allen," he said gently, his eyes hard.

His focus shifting entirely, he moved away from the window so that he could take Allen by the nape of his neck -the movement sharp, but his hold gentle- and lead him toward the dining area. "Now... You may hang your clothes there on the coat rack to dry. Have you eaten recently, or shall I feed you? And do you intend to stay for a few hours or spend the night? Perhaps you plan only on remaining long enough for the storm to die down? I'd like to know if I should prepare a bed."
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin October 2nd 2009, 11:00 am

Allen jumped a bit at the red head's sudden movement, a soft blush making it's way across his face as he realized he'd overstepped a previously set boundary in his urgency to steer any conversation away from him. It had nothing to do, of course, with the "dear" that a certain red head had inserted right before his name. Not at all.

He swallowed a lump in his throat as Kalyan grabbed him by the neck and began steering him way away from the door Allen knew lead to his laboratory, or his workroom, or whatever the elder called it. He also knew he was allowed nowhere near it, so with one last curious glance at the door, he allowed himself to be taken to the far too formal dining room.

"Do we need to go in there?" he asked incredulously, starting to fidget, "It's just me, right? Couldn't we just go to the kitchen... after all, why bother turning all the lights in here when the kitchen would be much easier?" But like he was told, Allen hung his sopping clothes; each on one of the hooks and turned back to Kalyan.

"No, I haven't," he admitted, eyes falling to the floor, "I haven't got much of an appetite recently... and I hadn't really thought about what I was going to do once I came here. You're just the only person I know who... wouldn't think it strange I come knocking in the middle of the night. All my other friends, well..." he grew quiet, a slightly confused expression appearing on his face, "All my other friends would find it a little improper. A-and don't bother with a bed or anything.. I would just like to sit down for a bit... maybe on a sofa, and talk?"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 2nd 2009, 1:57 pm

(I loved your post~! Allen's so cute!! ^_^ Hope you like this one.)

The slight blush on Allen's face perplexed Kalyan. Why in the world was he...? Utterly baffled, he wondered at the odd sweetness that such an innocent expression stirred up within him. Shaking his head, Kalyan pushed the wonderment out of his mind as they continued their little stroll through his house.

Kalyan paused in the doorway of the dining room as Allen hung up his clothes, frowning at the tone in the young one's voice. He hesitated, then nodded. "Very well. Go sit on the couch and wait for me then. We'll talk as we eat."

At the last part, he sent Allen a bit of a forceful glance. "You'll not be going hungry while you're at my house, appetite or no."

He moved in the direction of the kitchen, hell-bent on feeding the kid. Allen may not have realized it, but in the few weeks that had passed by, he had clearly lost a good deal of weight. Stress tended to have that unpleasant effect on a body, and Kalyan wasn't about to watch little Allen wither away.

He'd seen enough of that for a lifetime or three....

His gait determined, Kalyan stepped into the kitchen, quickly warmed some of the leftovers of lasagna he'd had from earlier that day and carried it to the couch that Allen sat in.

"It's hardly anything fancy, but it beats nothing." He handed a plate of the food, a napkin, and a fork to Allen, then he vanished again in order to pour them something to drink. He returned moments later and placed a nice, warm cup of hot chocolate before Allen, hoping to keep him warmed up.

He sat down with a small, tired sigh, then he placed his own food on the small coffee table before them. "Now... you said you wanted to talk?," he pressed. "Just chat? Or something else?" Kalyan found it hard to imagine that little Allen would come all of this way in a storm for idle chitchat....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin October 13th 2009, 8:59 am

Allen eyed the piece of lasagna for a moment before hesitantly taking it with a sigh. He really wasn't all that hungry.

He mumbled a quiet thanks, setting aside the plate of food and eagerly taking the hot cocoa instead. At Kalyan's question he averted his eyes with a troubled expression on his face. To tell the truth, he didn't even know himself why he had come here of all places/ Kalyan and he were not all that close, never really talking outside of conversations mediated by Terrance or schoolwork , so Allen didn't even know if they had anything in common totalk about.

Perfect, Allen thought to himself, Here I am, in my tutor's house after bothering him in the middle of the night, a man who was great friends with my father, and I have nothing to say! It was still too soon to breach the subject of Terrance, and Allen himself was too afraid to say anything outright. He didn't want to break down crying like a child in front of Kalyan! He just... wanted to be near someone who had cared for his father... someone who wouldn't drop him like a stone the minute everything changed.

His gloomy thoughts must have shown on his face judging from the look on Kalyan's , so Allen shot the older a reassuring smile. While he did want some company, he didn't want to be poked and prodded about his emotional state.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 15th 2009, 6:29 am

Slight annoyance flickered in Kalyan's chest as the boy failed to even acknowledge his question in any form. The best that he'd gotten out of the boy was a sullen silence and a small, hollow smile that he suspected was meant to be reassuring -and had fallen short of the mark.

Kalyan regarded Allen from beneath the strands of his bangs, which had fallen out of their perfect positioning just as his frustration began -as though a signal of his emotions. He raked his hand through his hair, forcing the strands back from his face. He had no patience to deal with it at the moment, and refused to allow himself to be bothered by it.

It was obvious that the boy had no conversation in mind. He'd only wanted some form of company -and he'd been desperate enough to stumble into his tutor's home. Kalyan was not practiced in niceties. Simple chitchat and politics agitated him, and he had the feeling that Allen would only be bored by the dull subjects that often flickered to life within chatting sessions.

...So, what to do?

Something that would take the boy's mind off of everything, and yet keep him interested as well.... Kalyan's mind played over the information that he knew of the boy. Anything that might would assist him in the discovery of a topic....

Nothing came to mind immediately. Hm... how enlightening, Kalyan thought bitterly, exasperated. He spoke with Allen's father hundreds of times! There must have been at least once that the man had mentioned something about his son(-despite the hundreds of times he'd spoken of how proud he was of the lad, of course)!

An idea lit up Kalyan's mind, and he stood abruptly, the smallest ghost of a smile on his face. "Allen, you like to read, don't you?," he asked, hopeful.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin October 29th 2009, 6:53 am

Allen was a bit taken aback by the randomness of the question, and his brows furrowed. "N-not particularly..." he said, not knowing what had brought about the sudden change of topic but thankful the redirection of attention.

"well... you know I'm not very good at English, neither am I good at arithmetic or science... Though I do like to read plays and poems." He gave the redhead a sheepish smile, "Actually it was during the theatre literature that I had my best scores in English. Everything else just seems to fly right over my head"

Golden eyes looked curiously up at Kalyan and an almost flirtatious smile grew on Allen's face, "Why?" he asked, his voice thick with a suppressed laugh, "Do you want to start tutoring me in English as too?" He let out a dramatic sigh and flopped back against the couch, the back of his palm pressed to his forehead, "How taxing! To have so many admirerers an so little time to indulge them all! Bu
But for you, my dear Kalyan, I will spare a bit of it to keep you company in these dark and turbulent times!"
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 1st 2009, 10:52 pm

Kalyan recalled hearing Terrance say something about how little Allen's English grade had momentarily spiked -he just hadn't been sure the why of it until Allen had walked by them muttering a poem to himself. He had been able to guess that the boy had some interest in poetry, he just wasn't sure how deep said interest would be.

Elated, but hiding it behind his usual mask of indifference, Kalyan nodded. "Yes, I recall that. Come with me -I have something you'll like." He turned to lead the boy off, but Allen caught him off guard with his next statement.

"Why?" Allen asked, his voice thick with a suppressed laugh, "Do you want to start tutoring me in English as too?" A dramatic sigh and a small thunk as he hit the couch in mocking distress, then: "How taxing! To have so many admirers and so little time to indulge them all! But for you, my dear Kalyan, I will spare a bit of it to keep you company in these dark and turbulent times!"

Kalyan turned, incredulous, to peer at the peculiar way that they boy had stretched out over his couch. Invisibly ruffled, he snorted. "Admirer indeed! You're a poor enough pupil in science. It takes all of the patience that I have to keep you focused just long enough for me to make it through one class, forget two or three. I am simply not prepared to attempt such a feat."

He threw up his hands in mock surrender and spoke over his shoulder as he began to move away. "I was going to offer you a way to end your boredom, but by all means, stay in here and be bored while I go finish up my duties and retire."

He harrumphed to himself, quietly, his mask peeling away underneath the weight of his frustration. Honestly, the nerve of that Allen! Disturbing him in the night, having Kalyan welcome him in and assist him only to be ridiculed, poked, and prodded at in return for his kindness....

In that moment, Kalyan was determined to gain his wealth early in life and become a hermit. He would move somewhere far away where no imbecilic people with angelic faces can sneer at him for being something different than they expected when his back was turned but smile with some false kinship to his face.

Kalyan hated people. They never failed to remind him of how terrible humanity really was. Betrayal, lies, suffering, and hate was all that anyone offered. He knew it to be true through experience. The only exceptions to the plague that was the human race were people like Terrance, but those few always seemed to fade out and die just as they bring out the trust in those around them.

In the end, solitude was the only thing that Kalyan wanted. Solitude, and his Alchemy. Those were the only friends he needed, wanted, and would eventually have.

Bitter, Kalyan slipped back into his veil of indifference. Until the day that he could be away from a certain pretty little golden haired boy, then he would allow his single-man masquerade continue....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 4th 2009, 7:48 am

Allen would have laughed at Kalyan's reply to his playful banter if not for the red head's sudden change of attitude. The sparkle in his golden eyes dimmed, and he frowned, sitting up, and then standing up to follow his tutor. a put off expression on his face.

"Oh don't be cross, Kalyan!" he cried, hurrying after the man. Honestly, he never would get used to how sensitive the other was, and so impatient as well! His father must have been mad to think Kalyan and he could have been good friends. Allen always managed to ruffle Kalyan's feathers with a mere look sometimes. Not to mention Allen's complete incompetence in his academics that seemed to frustrate Kalyan to no extent.

Allen rounded on him, cutting him off from leaving and staring up at him with a stubborn frown on his face, "Honestly, Kalyan, you really are no fun at all!" he told the man, prodding his chest with his index finger, "I was only Joking with you! Lighten the mood, if you will! I know that I'm a terrible student! I know that i require the patience of a bloody saint! And for god's sake, I was only joking about you being an admirer! Must you really get all up in a huff over some playful banter?"

"Now look here," Allen finally sighed wearily, feeling the weight of the whole week on his shoulders now, "I came here to bother you so you could keep me company, and you will show me now whatever it was you were going to show me because you've piqued my interest, and I wont be able to stop thinking about it until I know just what would end my boredom. After that I won't bother you or take up your time or anything else, alright? I'll leave you to your potions and alchemical concoctions all you want."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 5th 2009, 6:08 am

Kalyan's gaze searched Allen's coolly, no emotion behind his lavender eyes. He stepped close to Allen, his hand moving up to capture his chin in one of his hands, then tilted the boy's head slightly -as if to get a better look at him.

*"Je n'ai pas encore trouvé le mensonge derrière vos yeux, ma petite puce, mais je serai sûrement plus. Je ne veux pas être fait berner par des gens comme vous," he murmured deeply, quietly -as if to himself- and then leaned in closer, his eyes narrowing somewhat as he left mere centimeters between their faces.

"I shall not be commanded by one as young as you -especially within the comfort of my own home. Yes, I shall still show you what I intended to show you, but it will be because I came this far already and have no desire to turn back now." His voice became a rumbling bass. "I don't appreciate that tone you just took with me, Allen. I'm lacking in sleep, and the tiniest things make me ill-tempered. Be thankful that I am even bothering to be nice at all."

He released his pupil and side-stepped him, moving to the small desk just outside of his library. There, he hesitated, then picked up the large, hard-back book that lay there. He wiped a bit of dust from it, then held it out for Allen to examine or take. The cover was a metallic silver with black, swirling details lining it. The title was in lovely script, and the thickness of the book was almost ridiculous.

"It's a collection of every work made by both Edgar Allen Poe and Shakespeare. The short stories, plays, poems, sonnets.... They're all there. The title is French, but I assure you that it is written strictly in English after you get past the cover. I rarely pay that book any mind. I thought that you might appreciate it most."

He looked from the book back up to Allen to gauge the boy's reaction, curious.
----------------------------------

*Translation for the French: "I have not yet found the lie behind your eyes, my little flea, but I most certainly shall. I will not be made a fool of by the likes of you."
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 11th 2009, 8:07 am

At the sudden silence from Kalyan, and then the cool gaze directed at him, Allen faltered. At the sudden touch, he froze. And when Kalyan leaned in close, foreign words spilling like velvet into his ears, Allen turned crimson, eyes wide like a deer caught in the path of a hunter's light.

The spell broke when Kalyan let his chin go. Once the man's back was turned to him, Allen let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding.

Allen, you dolt! Acting like a scared little girl around that grumpy old soursop! he chastised himself, not at all happy that his heart was beating twice as hard. He usually wasn't one to be struck speechless, or let a grumpy person ruin his perpetual good mood.

All thoughts of kicking himself mentally disappeared once his eyes landed on the large tome in the red head's hands. His interest once again piqued, doubled at the cover, and quadrupled at the man's words. The eagerness was evident on his face as he took the book, "Really? Billy and Eddy together in one? And all of them!?" he cried like a child in a candy store finding out that someone had decided to slather his favorite lollipop in chocolate and ice-cream, then flung himself at the taller man in an excited hug, "Kalyan, you just about have everything in this big old house of yours!"

Then without another thought, he pressed the book to his chest and turned to the door, "I'll begin reading it straight away! I hope you don't mind me occupying your parlor since it already has a nice fire going. I promise I won't go snooping around anywhere else, there's really not much that can hold my interest over this treasure anyway. Thank you!" and with one last smile, the blond bounded back to the parlor.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 12th 2009, 5:46 am

Allen's enthusiastic hug took Kalyan completely by surprise. It began so suddenly and ended before the red-head could even shove the blond boy away. Jerking back as Allen made his hasty thanks and escape, Kalyan realized that the boy had not only attacked him, but he also had knocked his glasses askew in the process of the "hug."

Shaken, Kalyan reached out and touched the wall with one hand in order to steady himself, then used his free one to replace his glasses onto his nose and push them into place. He looked up just in time to see the last glimpse of Allen's back before the boy vanished into the other room.

With a small shake of his head, Kalyan sighed and turned to the door to his bedchamber. He could very well and good use a nap.... Company like little Allen wore him out, and since the child had some other form of entertainment for the time being, then his home was momentarily safe from unwelcome prodding.

"That boy will be the death of me...," Kalyan muttered with an ungraceful sigh as he vanished behind his bedroom door.

~~~~~

A few hours later, Kalyan awoke with the first, faded whispers of the coming sunlight filling his room. He gave a great groan, annoyed with his insomnia for awakening him at such a terrible hour. Knowing that he would not be getting back to sleep that night, he went through his morning preparations and headed toward his parlor.

He dimly wondered how his home was so silent with a certain little blond still inside of it as he made his way there, his eyelids drooped from too-little sleep.

He found his answer in the small form of Allen sleeping peacefully on the couch, the large book lying open across his lap -held tenderly, even in the boy's sleep. The fire was little more than a pile of glowing embers due to a lack of care, and the room was rather cold. Kalyan peered at the innocent, lax face before him, then reached out to barely brush his fingers against the boy's arm. His skin was soft -quite soft- and chilled to the point that Kalyan was puzzled as to how it was not blue.

Somewhat distressed, Kalyan retrieved a blanket and pillow, then -after moving the large book from Allen's lap to the table next to the couch- tucked the blond in. He then turned to the fire and brought it to life once more, pleased as the room became considerably warmer.

Kalyan looked back at Allen from his position at the fire place and noticed one pale arm dangling out from underneath the covers, his knuckles barely brushing against the carpet. Sighing softly, the red-head moved over and tucked the arm back beneath the covers. He threw a grumpy glare toward Allen's face, then felt it give way to something... softer. He just couldn't stay angry with that sleeping face.

Defeated, Kalyan gently ruffled the boy's hair. He froze as Allen's face tensed slightly with some emotion that he couldn't place immediately, and he heard the soft whisper that slipped from his sleeping form.

"Dad...."

All of the color drained out of Kalyan's face, and he lept backward as if the boy's skin had burned him. Aghast, he stared at that sleeping face as something in Kalyan's mind clicked together -violently, like the collision of two stags fighting for a mate. A whirlwind of emotions flared to life within him, and he staggered beneath the weight of them -barely avoiding the table.

Almost frantic, he turned and escaped into the door leading down to his Alchemy lab. Desperate to relieve his mind through physical labor, he decided to catch up on the work that Allen had interrupted the previous day.

He never imagined that he would end up tripling his normal output in order to remove even a fraction of the thoughts gnawing at his hide.....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 13th 2009, 5:01 am

(Ugh, pretend this post never happened, lol ^_^ Stupid computers)

Last edited by *~MoE~* on November 14th 2009, 1:36 am; edited 1 time in total
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 13th 2009, 6:52 pm

It was strange to Allen that, although he wasn't a big reader, he could become totally engrossed in such a big book. If he thought about it, the reason he liked poetry and plays was probably because as a small child he had loved hearing his father read to him out loud and act out parts.

Though for Allen, poetry and plays were easier to read out loud for him than actual novels, the feeling for him was the same.

Time seemed to pass by quickly, and before he could even finish one play, Macbeth Allen began feeling his eyelids begin to droop and his vision become blurry from sleep. He tried to shake it off, as well as the creeping coldness drawing around him and seeping into him like that claw that had lodged itself around his heart during his father's funeral.

But both that coldness and the weariness overwhelmed him despite his narrowing eyes focusing on the print of the page. Slowly, the young blond's fingers loosened their hold on Kalyan's book, his figure slumping against the back of the couch.

The minute his eyes closed, the coldness turned into an unbearable heat.

It was like fire roaring through his lungs, through his veins, and making his eyes shoot open only to see everything in shades of yellow. His body shook, uncontrollable spasms as his fingers clutched desperately at anything and everything with his reach.

His nerves screamed then, his vision swimming when hands reached out to touch him, and their warmth seemed to burn his skin even as his lips parted with inaudible cries. Those hands touched at his face, picked him up from the ground he had been lying on and brought him close to an equally burning body.

All he could do was arch and writhe wildly, as if his body needed something he himself couldn't place. His own fingers, finally finding their home in strands of closely cropped hair, tightened their hold as he pulled the man's- because it could only be a man with large calloused hands like those- face closer. He needed the man closer, needed him to do something, and needed it now.

He was trembling now, the more violent movements of his body becoming weak shivers and those hands becoming arms that pulled him even closer until his body was pressed against another's.

"Allen. Allen. Allen, mon coure..."

His burning, hazy eyes focused at last, and he looked up to see his fingers tightening on red hair.

Allen eyes shot open and he sat bolt upright, the remnants of the dream still washing over him. Slender fingers tightened and flexed. He could still feel the strands of hair in his hands, short, somewhat unruly, but soft. And the way those hands had touched him, those arms held him and the deep voice seeming to whisper in his ear...

A blush tainted Allen's face, turning a deeper color as he realized that Kalyan had laid him out across the couch and had covered him with a blanket. That Kalyan had bothered to touch him, move him in his sleep and make sure he was comfortable in the otherwise uncomfortable couch.

"Oh hell..."

He covered his face with his hands as his mind remembered even more of the dream.

Allen was having much too pleasant dreams about his tutor.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 14th 2009, 4:18 am

Kalyan emerged from his lab slowly, too exhausted to do anything further. He was beginning to really feel the first aches and pains from so much work and the long hours of sleepless activities. He had been so focused on the trip out of the lab that he hadn't even noticed that he still held a small beaker in his right hand....

Holding the beaker loosely in his palm, he walked heavily toward the parlor to check on his guest, his face pinched and pale. He paused in the doorway, surprised to find the boy not only awake, but also leaning forward in a most unusual position with his face covered by his hands.

Was he sick...?

Allen's head snapped up, looking startled -as if he had sensed Kalyan's presence rather than heard him approach. The lad's face was an interesting shade of red. Kalyan opened his mouth to question him, but the sound of his doorbell rang through the house, freezing his question in his throat.

Puzzlement flashed through him as he turned toward the door -a numb movement, done more out of habit than any intention that he might have had to answer it.

With a slight sigh, he moved to the mahogany doors and reached for the handle, only to find that the door was already open and swinging inward. Surprised by such a bold intrusion, Kalyan stood rigidly, his expression going cool -then hardened as recognition finally burned its way back into his mind.

Before him stood none other than Private Investigator Ronald Walsh. This was approximately the third time that Kalyan had come face to face with this man, and none of those meetings were pleasant in the least. Ronald grated on Kalyan's nerves. He was a very uppity man with an air of unearned superiority clinging to his every action.

Dressed in a tailored black suit with a white undershirt, a black bow tie, and glimmering black shoes, he looked a bit like a banker. His young face was handsome, but there was a cruel slant to his lips and eyes. His black hair was cleanly cut, none of it reaching beyond three inches long. His grey eyes glinted like a cat who had swallowed the family canary and hadn't left even a single feather as evidence.

And, to make matters worse, his visit was not one of the casual sort. He knew this because Ronald had been given the assignment to be Kalyan's personal headache.

The governor of his region shared the same, rising distrust for alchemists and their trade. The alchemists were not approved of in many ways, but as long as their usefulness continued, then people like Kalyan would be allowed to continue their "enlightened shenanigans." At least, they could until the eyes and ears of the government smelled something fishy amongst the alchemists. Then special people -called "Neuigkeiten" or "seekers"- are hired and sent out to hunt a law-breaking alchemist down and see to their punishments for being out of control or for being under suspicion of treachery against the government.

Kalyan's practice -or, at least, the experiments and developments that the government was informed of- was centered mostly around the medicinal aspects of alchemy. He was attempting to progress the medical expertise in hospitals everywhere. Unfortunately... alchemy in any form came with a great price. The government, though he did not technically work for them, was always breathing down his neck by sending investigators to make sure he was being a good little boy.

That thought made Kalyan want to sneer at Mr. Walsh -a desire that was only strengthened by the confident smirk and the body language that told Kalyan the man was entirely at ease with intruding in such a rude manner. Ronald stepped inside, shutting the door behind him.

"Well, well, Mr. Walsh," Kalyan said, his tone flat and cool -no signs of his growing exhaustion showing now as he stepped up to make sure Allen couldn't be viewed by this stranger in his place in the parlor. "To what -or who- do I owe this unexpected visit?"

That smirk grew on the man's snake-like face, something that scraped against Kalyan's nerves quite well. "It's pleasant to see you, Kally!," Ronald exclaimed merrily, happy to use the nickname that he knew would get a rise out of Kalyan. "I'm glad I caught you at home! Heard from the hospital that you haven't checked in recently. Just wanted to... have a look around. You know... make sure nothing was amiss. Has everything been going well?"

Kalyan's voice dropped to a softer, deeper level, unwilling for Allen to overhear him. "I had a good friend of the family to pass away not so long ago. The funeral and such put me a bit behind in work. I just caught up today. Unfortunately, I have not made copies of my log as of yet. The hospital will just have to wait a bit longer for my report."

Suspicion and bitter disappointment glittered in Ronald's eyes as he followed suit, bringing his voice level lower to accommodate Kalyan's. "Well, I am sorry to hear that, truly. Loss is a terrible drama."

He sent a curious glance over Kalyan's shoulder, and Kalyan straightened to his full height, rigid, angry. "I must ask you to leave now, Ronny," he snapped snidely. "I have other things to attend that require my immediate attention."

Surprise flickered behind Ronald's eyes, and then anger. "Oh, I understand. Don't worry about it. Just remember to turn in your log soon. You've got two weeks to hand in to the hospital, or I'll revoke your license and force you to retake every single exam again... after the six month waiting period, of course." He leaned closer, his eyes narrowing with cruelty as he whispered into Kalyan's ear. "And do take care of your dear crackpot... er, I mean, your father, will you? Give him my regards upon his return home."

Rage, fast and hot, slammed into Kalyan. He slammed his palm into Mr. Walsh's face, then gave a great heave that sent the man flying out from his doorway. Kalyan didn't wait to see that his action had caused the investigator to fall on his arse on the walkway just past the stairs onto his front porch -nor did he hear the sharp curses that the man threw his way as he stood and scurried off, promising . He slammed the door with his left hand, outraged by the man's audacity.

He stood there a moment, shaking with the level of his rage. It wasn't until the rage began to dull a bit that he began to notice a slight ache rippling through the anger pooling inside of him. The ache became painful, then pure agony, only to fade into a pulsing, forceful throb. It took him a full minute to realize the source of it. The beaker that he'd been holding in his right hand had been completely forgotten. In his rush of emotion, Kalyan had forgotten all about it. His hand was now curled into a fist around the beaker, and the form had become little more than a pile of broken glass slashing into his palm.

Blood was oozing from between his fingers and dripping onto the hardwood next to the door, quickly forming a small puddle there. With a small hiss and a soft curse, he uncurled his fist and peered at the damage.

There were multiple shards simply lying on top of his palm; however, there were many more embedding themselves within his flesh. He huffed and cupped his hand underneath the flow of blood in an attempt to save the floor from further staining, then hurried into the nearby bathroom, where he began to run cool water over the stinging wound. He was going to have to pick every last shard of glass out... and it had to be done before infection could set in....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 15th 2009, 12:28 am

Allen turned around on the sofa as the doorbell rang, the blush on his face receding at his rising curiosity. He could barely see anything through the parlor doorway from his position on the couch except for Kalyan, and a brief glimpse of Modernist clothing.

What Allen first thought strange, after a second made sense. Kalyan was an Alchemist, a Modernist in vocation and lifestyle. Allen's father had been one of the few Traditionalist friends the red head had, despite his Mr. Ouroboros' encouragement to continue the Traditional lifestyle.

One could usually tell the difference between a Modernist and Traditionalist by the way they dressed. Traditionalists like Allen's father and Mr. Ouroboros, tended to wear breeches and stockings, ornate vests and ruffled shirts. They also tended to wear their hair longer, tied at the base of their necks Like Allen usually did. Modernists, like Kalyan, wore trousers and suits, more subdued and absent of color than Traditionalist garb. Some, like Kalyan, cut their hair short, something that Mr. Ouroborous thought extremely distasteful as he had made clear many a time.

Allen himself had grown up in a Traditionalist home, used to the ornate clothing that his Mother and Father had brought him up on, though sometimes he would look at Kalyan and wonder that the man looked better in Modernist clothes than in any Traditionalist outfit he could think of. His clothing also sometimes seemed a lot more comfortable than his own. Shoes especially.

His own pointy-toed, heeled shoes often had him wishing he could wear the dark, polished flat shoes of the Modernists.

The blond's thoughts were suddenly interrupted at the sound of a loud, very undignified squawk, and he looked up only to see Kalyan slamming his door shut. Golden eyes widened noting the drops of red falling to the floor. He shot up, disregarding his very inappropriate state; hair sleep tousled and loose, clothes rumpled, and hurried to the man's side.

"What the bloody hell happened?" he cried, following his tutor the restroom, undaunted when the man closed the door on him. He only pushed it aside and stormed in.

"Kalyan, your hand!" He was not the least bit squeamish about blood or gore, his mother being a nurse after all, and well, He'd seen a fair deal of her textbooks to know that he never wanted to work as one. This, however, was not one of the gorier pages of his mother's textbooks, so he quickly, but carefully snatched Kalyan's abused hand and brought it close to his face to see the extent of the damage.

"Do you have pincers, or very small scissors?" he asked quietly, already nudging the taller man to sit on the sink counter. His mother had, many times, treated Allen just the same when he'd gotten into accidents as a child. "It's not so bad," he reassured, "The pieces stuck in your skin are big enough to see and take out easily. There aren't any tiny slivers, so it'll only take a few minutes to take them all out, and then get your had lathered in some antiseptic."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 16th 2009, 5:32 am

Kalyan was agitated by Allen's concern, and the nearness that the small bathroom forced upon them was uncomfortable. Allen's touch, though it was gentle, set him on edge, and he wanted to yell until the boy wet his pants and ran away from him in that moment.

Stubbornly, he refused to sit on the counter that the younger boy was nudging him closer to, though he discovered what a mistake that was on his part when Allen gave another frustrating nudge that placed them much too close together.

In one fast -almost violent- movement, he snatched his hand back away from Allen and unconsciously coddled it against his chest. He resisted the urge to growl and hiss at the boy, choosing to side-step him instead, moving further into the bathroom.

"Yes, and I can take care of this myself, thank you," he said snidely. "Go back to your book."

He opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out his specially-made antiseptic, created by none other than Kalyan himself, and the pincers that he kept for little accidents such as this one. He moved back to hover over the sink -a movement that placed him close to Allen once more, to Kalyan's great dismay. Why hadn't he left yet?! He was quite in the way....

Kalyan unflinchingly used the pincers to yank out each chunk of glass in fast, rough movements that probably did himself more harm than good. He didn't mind the pain; it helped to clear his head. The sink had plenty of blood spatter to decorate it by the time that he finished. Undaunted, Kalyan turned on the water flow and rinsed the sink out, then washed his hand and covered it with the antiseptic.

When he was finished, he examined the wounds, then covered them with a bandage. The job hadn't been poorly done -he was used to caring for his own wounds. He'd been doing so since he was six years old, after all. It lacked grace, but he couldn't complain for the most part.

He shot a glance at Allen before he shut the water off in the sink, threw away the glass pieces, then turned and shooed the younger boy out of the bathroom so that he could leave himself. Relieved to be out of the confined space, Kalyan stepped through to the other side of the hallway and started toward the parlor, but the shrill sound of the Radiograph resounded through the house. Between the grinding of the wooden container's metal gears and the little hissing hum that began every time it cranked up, the little contraption was a big source of noisy aggravation.

Kalyan simply stared at the object for a long moment, debating on "accidentally" kicking the white mineral stone -the source of power for the invention- out of place and allow the little trinket to die.

What if it is an emergency...?

With a heavy sigh, Kalyan moved over and answered it, pressing one piece to his ear and allowing the other to hover near his mouth.

"Ouroboros," he murmured into the receiver, his tone brisk and official.

"M-Mr. Kalyan?," a young, feminine voice stammered from the other end. "I... T-this is Elizabeth Briggs.... I-I'm...."

"Ah, yes, Mrs. Briggs. You're one of my father's company associates, correct?," he offered, distantly curious as to why she would be bothering him instead of his father. "Is there something that you need?"

"A-ah, well.... It's your father, Mr. Kalyan. H-he.... We've decided that he needs to take a small break from work. He's obviously been stressed out, a-and we need you to come and pick him up, if you wouldn't mind...."

There was a loud noise somewhere behind her, a sound much like someone yelling, and then he heard her surprised sound as the receiver was taken from her. The next voice that half-yelled, half-slurred itself on the other end of the line was none other than Mr. Ouroboros himself.

"Now you lissin'a me, boy! I don' need nuffin' from you, unnerstand?! You jus' keep yersself right there, ya brat!"

Kalyan sucked in a sharp breath and bristled visibly, his eyes snapping fire into the wall before him as if it were his father. "Manfred Abraham Ouroboros!," he exclaimed sharply, his body trembling with outrage. "Are you drunk?! While on a business trip?!"

A hiccup, then, "S'what iffin I am?!," came the snapped reply, and then there was another scuffle before Mrs. Briggs's voice returned. "I apologize for the inconvenience, Mr. Kalyan, but I do insist that you come retrieve him. We've cleared him for three days off. Make sure he gets plenty of rest and relaxation done in that time frame, could you?"

"Understood. I will be there as quickly as possible," Kalyan returned, and then hung up.

He dropped his face into his hands and rubbed his tired eyes for a bit, weary -forgetting Allen's presence entirely for a moment as he let his mask fall away to reveal the real exhaustion eating at him. He gathered his strength, sucked in a deep breath, then the mask was back in place, and he went about preparing for his departure.

He glanced up, remembering Allen as he picked up his suitcase. "You can stay here if you just don't want to go home, but I have something that I must attend to, and it can't wait. If you leave, though, please lock the front door. Everything else should be in order. If you're hungry, you know where kitchen is. Just clean up any messes you make." He started out past the boy after he shrugged on his coat, his eyes on the door.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next