Storyteller
Welcome to Storyteller

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Storyteller
Welcome to Storyteller
Storyteller
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alchemist part One

2 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Alchemist part One - Page 2 Empty Re: Alchemist part One

Post  Admin November 20th 2009, 5:47 am

Kalyan was agitated by Allen's concern, and the nearness that the small bathroom forced upon them was uncomfortable. Allen's touch, though it was gentle, set him on edge, and he wanted to yell until the boy wet his pants and ran away from him in that moment.

The blond, however, seemed completely oblivious to the man's discomfort and continued examining the bloody hand, assessing how long it would take to take out all those pieces of glass.

Stubbornly, he refused to sit on the counter that the younger boy was nudging him closer to, though he discovered what a mistake that was on his part when Allen gave another frustrating nudge that placed them much too close together.

"It's not so bad," Allen reassured, "The pieces stuck in your skin are big enough to see and take out easily. There aren't any tiny slivers, so it'll only take a few minutes to take them all out, and then get your had lathered in some antiseptic."

In one fast -almost violent- movement, he snatched his hand back away from a protesting Allen and unconsciously coddled it against his chest. He resisted the urge to growl and hiss at the boy, choosing to side-step him instead, moving further into the bathroom.

"Yes, and I can take care of this myself, thank you," he said snidely. "Go back to your book."

"But-" Allen protested, following the red head with a stubborn frown of his own, "I'm only trying to help!"

He opened the medicine cabinet and pulled out his specially-made antiseptic, created by none other than Kalyan himself, and the pincers that he kept for little accidents such as this one. He moved back to hover over the sink -a movement that placed him close to Allen once more, to Kalyan's great dismay. Why hadn't he left yet?! He was quite in the way....

Trying to edge around the sink so he could at least see, he only scowled as the alchemist began treating his wounds, "Kalyan... HEY! Don't do it like that!" Alarm rang through his voice and face as he finally realized just how careless his tutor was being.

Kalyan was unflinchingly using the pincers to yank out each chunk of glass in fast, rough movements that probably did himself more harm than good. He didn't mind the pain; it helped to clear his head. The sink had plenty of blood spatter to decorate it by the time that he finished. Undaunted, Kalyan turned on the water flow and rinsed the sink out, then washed his hand and covered it with the antiseptic

When he was finished, he examined the wounds, then covered them with a bandage. The job hadn't been poorly done -he was used to caring for his own wounds. He'd been doing so since he was six years old, after all. It lacked grace, but he couldn't complain for the most part.

Allen, however, was not so easily satisfied. His mother had instilled an almost obsession with self-care and first aid basics in him since he was a child, and such crude, reckless ministrations struck a nerve in the blond. Not only that, but If it was one thing Allen hated the most it, was being ignored, "I'm trying to help you! Look what you've done now! You've bloodied up and practically ruined our hand!" The blond cried, only maddening more as Kalyan continued to ignore him, and his voice becoming thick with anguish.

"Aren't Alchemists supposed to be obsessed with taking care of their hands? I'm speaking to you, Kalyan!"

He shot a glance at Allen before he shut the water off in the sink, threw away the glass pieces, then turned and shooed the younger boy out of the bathroom so that he could leave himself.

Allen made to continue, his face becoming red, this time not from embarrassment, but in anger. He was an adult and deserved to be treated like one, and here Kalyan was treating him like a child underfoot! "Kal-!"He was about to begin to give Kalyan the tongue lashing he deserved, when he was interrupted by a shrill metallic sound.

~~~~

He watched the emotions playing across Kalyan's face, all anger draining out of him and replaced once more by concern. He could hear the loud yelling on the other side of the radiograph, and deemed it safe to assume that the person on the other side was one other than Kalyan's father.

His assumption proved correct when the red head began to bellow into the radiograph, his face livid.

The man was truly like a grandfather to him, having been his father's teacher, but sometimes he couldnt help but feel a little resentful towards the man for the way he treated Kalyan. It wasn't right to be hostile towards one's own son because of the vocation they chose, or which of the two lifestyles they preferred.

He glanced up, remembering Allen as he picked up his suitcase. "You can stay here if you just don't want to go home, but I have something that I must attend to, and it can't wait. If you leave, though, please lock the front door. Everything else should be in order. If you're hungry, you know where kitchen is. Just clean up any messes you make." He started out past the boy after he shrugged on his coat, his eyes on the door.

Alen blinked, and bristled, "I don't leave messes!" he snapped, then frowned, "What's wrong? What's happened to your father?" At the thought of something happening to Mr. Ouroboros, his tone took on a note of panic, eyes widening as he followed Kalyan towards the door.

"He's alright, isnt he, Kalyan?" He couldn't stand it if something happened to someone else he cared about...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://storyteller.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 20th 2009, 6:08 am

Kalyan wasn't expecting Allen's concern, and he certainly wasn't expecting that look of panic-laced worry that he saw when he turned back to face the boy. He peered at him a moment, stunned. Sure, the boy had spoken with Kalyan's father a few times, but had that been enough for Allen to be quite so attached?

Frowning, Kalyan paused, then sighed.

"Yes, yes. My father is unharmed and completely healthy, I suppose you could say. That bad leg and attitude of his is the worst of him. But the bloody fool decided to visit a bar in the middle of his business trip. He's off-his-rocker drunk and incapable of contributing to much of anything in that condition, so his coworkers called me to come retrieve his stupid ass."

He huffed, massaging his temples. "He'll be lucky if he doesn't loose his job over something like this. Or his company, even. Not that it wouldn't serve him right for acting like a child, but I don't even want to imagine the moping period that he would go through if that were to happen."

Kalyan grabbed his wallet off of the counter near the door, shoving it quickly into his pocket. "It most certainly isn't something for you to be worked up over, little Allen," he assured the boy, disliking the tension he saw behind the younger boy's eyes. "Just read until I can get back. Fair enough?"
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 21st 2009, 9:49 pm

Kalyan's words seemed to be the thing Allen needed to hear. His eyes lost their panicked sheen, and he sighed in relief. His heart however, still felt caught in his throat, and his brows were still furrowed.

He couldn't get over something like that so quickly after all. It was Kalyan's father. And his own father's teacher. He didn't know what he would do, if he lost another person that was dear to him, if a person dear to him lost a precious person.

"I'll stay out of trouble..." he mumbled, looking to the ground.

~~~

Trouble, however, seemed to have no qualms about finding him. Two days after Kalyan had left, and now Allen was lost coming home from his classes. He looked around himself, noting the homely structure of the buildings, and the less colorful attire of the people walking through the street. He had no idea where he was.

The blond could not believe he'd lost his way so easily, just because of some detour he'd had to take because his main route was blocked for repairs, an now here he was, in this very unfamiliar part of the city.

" Oof! 'ey! Watch where you're goin'!"

Both collision and cry brought the blond out of his musings, and he blinked, looking down to see frowning red headed girl looking expectantly up at him.

For a moment, he just stared, and then sputtered, turning red in embarrassment, "Oh, p-pardon me, miss," he said sheepishly, apologetically patting her arm, "I really wasn't watching where I was going."

His words and actions seemed to satisfy the girl, and she grinned, "Ah, well, tha's aright, love. You'll be 'elpin' me with these in apology!" And before Allen knew what was going on, the small girl dumped a load of colorful clothes and other odds into his arms.

"Well, follaw me~" She said cheerily, at once making her way down the street without looking back, "Luck be on me to be findin' a strong yeng man to 'elp me out. Lord knows, Alrick e'nt do anythin 'cept boss people around and build his bloomin set!"

Allen was exceptionally confused.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 21st 2009, 10:43 pm

Kalyan had never been so happy to see his home before as he pulled up into their driveway. He was also happy to have that car. It had been expensive, but a wise investment -it was much faster than those damned horse-drawn carriages.

The ride had still seemed to have lasted an eternity, between the long silences from Mr. Ouroboros snoring in a drunken sleep or the longer yelling sessions when he was awake. Kalyan's head pounded in silent agony from the onslaughts, and the roar and sputter of the engine wasn't helping in the least....

He heaved a grateful sigh as he parked and shut off the engine, then he locked the door and stepped around to his father's side, scooping the bigger man up into his arms. He locked the door and slung his snoring father over his shoulder and carried him into the house without much trouble.

Kalyan made it to the parlor before he dumped Mr. Ouroboros into the couch and covered him, then he went off in search of his new little house-elf.

After a few minutes of searching to no avail, alarm began to swim through Kalyan. Where could Allen be...? Annoyed with is own worry, he shook his head. Maybe the boy was just back at his house for once....

Kalyan glanced at Manfred as the elder gave out a loud snore, determined that he would be fine on his own for a bit, then nodded. "Maybe I should go check and see...."

With that, Kalyan grabbed his keys and took off once more.

~~~~

Allen's house was empty. Not even Ashley was inside.

The beginnings of nervous fear began to prickle at the back of Kalyan's neck. Where was that boy...? Determined to find out, he made his way to the hospital to pay Ashley a visit.

It didn't take him long to find the frail-looking mother in the narrow walkways of the hospital. She was pushing a patient through the doors of their room in a wheelchair. Kalyan stood back until she came back out once more, then he gently touched her elbow.

She jumped skittishly, then whirled to face him with wide, frightened eyes. Relief poured into her pretty blue eyes, and she smiled a wan smile. "Oh! It's only you, Kalyan," she said, her voice shaking slightly. "What a surprise!"

"Indeed. I apologize, I did not mean to startle you so," he said apologetically, his face as neutral as ever. "I only came to ask you if you happened to know where Allen was...?"

He watched her eyes slide to look at the wall just to the left of his head, and her smile became plastic. "N-no, I'm afraid I don't know where A-um...- he is. I assumed he was at your house."

Kalyan felt his heart give a terrible leap before it sank. Angry at her for not knowing, and angry that she didn't even seem to care, Kalyan allowed his tongue to sharpen and lash out at her for the first time ever.

"You know, you really should realize how much of a fool you're being," he said sharply. "Allen is old enough to be a man, but he is still in dire need of his mutter. I know it must suck to have his father lying cold in a grave, but to have you moving around like you are already a corpse at your husband's side must really be hell. You need to suck it up and quit being so selfish! Your husband may be gone, but his legacy and his blood lives on in Allen. How dare you be so bold as to let something that precious slip away from you and die! Woman up, Ashley, and listen to someone who knows how awful is is to grow up without their mutter!"

In an angry huff, Kalyan stormed away, uncaring if she was upset by the words he'd thrown in her face. She'd needed someone to slap her awake -and he didn't mind if that person was himself. He just hoped it did her some good.

~~~~

Several more hours passed as Kalyan searched the city streets, looking in every shop, business, and candy store that the boy might have visited, asking around to see if he'd been there. No one had seen him.

In something close to full-out panic, he parked his car and forced himself to calm down.

"Think.... Where else would Allen go...?," Kalyan muttered to himself, then inspiration hit him hard in the face. "Allen is a fan of Shakespeare. Where do they often do Shakespearean plays...?" He hit himself in the forehead, then sped off toward the theater.

Unsure of what he would find, Kalyan stepped quietly through the doors and slipped into a seat in the far back corners of the room, where the lights were dim and the shadows aplenty to watch.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin November 28th 2009, 2:34 pm

Their destination, to Allen's chagrin, was the town theatre just a street away from the university. It seemed he had not been as lost as he had thought.

Josephine, as the red haired girl had declared her name to be, opened the door for Allen, who squeezed in through with all the clothes, "One of our lads was able to cajole the owner to let us use the sage for a few days since none of the big groups will be puttin' anythin' on." She gave Allen her cheeky little smile. After a while of speaking with the blond, her accent had dimmed a little, seeming to only become pronounced when she became excited, "'course we's got to pay a percentage of our earnin's and build our own sets. But it's better than playin' on the street like we usually do."

Allen's jaw almost dropped the minute he walked in, met with the sight of a dozens of people hurrying back and forth behind the stage. Some were helping what were obviously the actors, people building scene backgrounds and props, even some already practicing.

"Wow...umm.." Allen began, eyes wide and taking in everything around him, only looking up when Josephine bounded past him and towards one o the men hammering away at a tree sculpture.

The short red head practically ran over to the man, "Alrik! I brought all the clothes I 'ad, and look, I made us a friend to 'elp you out!"

The man stopped his hammering, and looked up at Josephine, then at Allen, and smiled.

Allen almost dropped everything then. Alrik was... dark skinned. He didn't know what to do himself, whether to look the man in the eye, or look nervously away, lest he be accused of staring. He'd never actually met a black man before, his father's company usually consisting of the Caucasian Traditionalists. He could already feel his face growing hot, and knew that the two had noticed by Alrik snorting in good-natured laughter.

"Man, you look like you've never seen a blackman before!" he chuckled, scratching at his thick brown hair. His teeth seemed to gleam unnatrally white from behind that dark face.

Allen blushed, "I haven't...actually... my family... we're Traditionals..." Though that sounded a bit prejudice, so he shifted the clothes in his arms and extended a hand, "But now that I've had the pleasure, My name is Allen."

Alrik laughed, and clapped his hand to Allen's, then looked over at Josephine, "Jo, you little siren, where'd you pick this one up? Boy talks just like my Da!"

"If ye 'ad any class, ye'd talk the same way," Josephine shot back, folding her arms across her chest, "Just ask me to 'elp yea one more time, you-"

Her words were cut off at a sudden creaking and splintering noise. Everybody stopped what they were doing, and looked up in alarm, only to see one of the balconies come crashing down onto the stage where the three were talking. Or more precisely, right above Allen.

Alrik paled, "Boy, look out!"

((agh brain dead. hope its good <3 ))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* November 28th 2009, 8:04 pm

((Aaaah~! <3 You're posts never fail to blow me away! ^_^ Awesome job!))

Kalyan sat very still and quietly steamed in a slow, building anger. The people milling about the stage were not speaking loudly enough for Kalyan to hear, but he could see them just fine. Allen was blushing as he spoke to the dark-skinned man, and that only seemed to add fuel the fire that was burning within him.

Without much thought, he stood and began to stalk toward the stage, his eyes flicking between Allen and the other man. When the groaning sound of the wood began, he froze and looked up, watching the balcony as the wood holding it into place began to splinter. He saw the thing shift, and fear catapulted him into action.

Alchemy, as a general rule, took time, practice, and patience to succeed. Kalyan, however, had none of these things as the balcony fell out of place and began careening downward, headed straight for little Allen as the boy slowly looked up, his eyes wide with shock.

Fear allowed Kalyan's body to move faster; anger allowed him to call his power and force it into motion quickly. Worry allowed him to give his entire being into the weaving path of his alchemy, his eyes burning brightly as his energy was thrown out from him and used to reverse the direction of the balcony. He hefted it up -with some effort- and forced it to hover in place as the remaining pieces of his alchemy fused the wood to the balcony, making sure that it couldn't possibly fall again without someone taking the balcony completely apart.

A heady rush set in when the work was finished, and Kalyan used that to turn to Allen, his eyes still smoldering from the use of his alchemy. "You!," he snapped, feeling the first signs of the exhaustion pulsing through him as he forced his arm up so that he could point at Allen. He had used far too complex an alchemy far too quickly and with too little preparations. Ooooh, he was going to pay for this when the rush was gone.... "The next time you're going to go frolicking about town, at least have the decency to leave a note!"

He turned and looked at the black man, allowing his arm to fall to his side. "And you!" He whipped out a large wad of bills from his pocket, then tossed it to the floor in front of him. "I don't know nor care if that," he snapped, pointing to the balcony, "was due to the lack of good workers or good supplies, but if you expect Allen to be around here, you'd better fix it."

He sent one last, burning glare at Allen before he showed himself out the way that he had come, too furious to notice the way that the rush was ebbing away. He made it to his car and half way home before the full-force of the exhaustion hit him. It seemed to take more energy than he could afford to focus enough to keep the car moving in the correct lane, and he almost couldn't put it in 'park' as he stopped in the driveway.

Feeling quite sick, dizzy, and shaky, Kalyan staggered into a side entrance of his house and barely made it to the nearest couch before darkness pulled him beneath its surface, and he knew no more.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin December 18th 2009, 6:09 am

((Sorry for the long wait T-T ))

Allen froze, eyes widening as a cold wave of fear coursed through him. It wasn't that his body wouldn't move, it was that it couldn't. Everything seemed to mute around him and his body went numb. In that instant the floor dropped beneath Allen and all he could see was green.

Venomous, snake-like green, and the sensation of cold fingers gripping around his chest and throat, claws that gripped his shoulders harshly, as if wanting to pull him down. Down into the ground where he would not meet the floor but keep falling until bits and pieces of his mind began falling too.

But suddenly, like air being forced into his lungs, the green dissolved into a flash of red and he blinked only to find Kalyan shouting at him.

Trembles wracked his body, and he took a shaky step back from the obvious rage on Kalyan's face, looking between him, and the ashen faces of everybody on the stage, and even then still not knowing what to say when Kalyan stalked out.

What in the world had just happened?

~~~~

"It wasn't his fault!" Allen urged stubbornly, earnest gold eyes boring into Kalyan's. He'd come back to the red head's house, full of worry and a bit guilty, only to find Kalyan fast asleep on his couch.

granted, the piece of furniture didn't belong to him, but Allen had appropriated use of it as his bed while Kalyan had gone off to bring his father back home. Though the first reason had been because he was afraid Kalyan might get angry at him for poking around the old house to find a suitable room, the second reason was that it was easier to tend an already burning fire for warmth rather than starting a new one in an already cold unoccupied room. And he rather doubted that Mr. Ouroboros would have let Kalyan install modern boilers in his Traditional home. That constant denial of modernity was probably another reason why Kalyan was so disagreeable all the time.

Allen was facing the brunt of disagreeability at the moment with his own stubbornness, "That balcony was part of the theatre, not the set! If it was anybody's fault, it was the owner's not Alrik's! And for the last time, I was not frolicking about. I got lost on the way back here, and Josephine took me to the University theatre. It's not like I make a habit of wandering out on the streets like delinquents, you of all people should know that!"

He fell back against his couch with an exasperated sigh, and looked longingly over to the Shakespeare and Poe book. WHy did life have to be so complicated? When he wanted to be alone, he became lonely, and so sought out company, and when he did find it, why did it always have to be such disagreeable company? Kalyan could never be said to have been a cheerful person like him, but Allen could remember times when his own father had taken them visiting to occasions with the Ouroboros family and he would meet a much warmer, and often smiling Kalyan.

That had been before Allen had started the University, and before Kalyan had found his calling in Alchemy, though. Allen sometimes found himself wondering just what had happened to that Kalyan. Surely a disappointed father, and a scientific line of work, rather than artistic, couldn't change one's personality so much?

He shot a pouty glare in the red head's direction, "I liked you much more when we were younger!" he declared finally, sitting up with a jump, hurriedly snatching up the heavy book from the table and fleeing angrily out of the sitting room. It looked like he would have to find another place to read in peace.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* December 20th 2009, 5:31 am

Kalyan was quite unhappy to awaken to the sound of Allen yelling at him, leaning to be entirely too close to his face. It took him a full minute to force away the groggy fog of confusion that a sudden awakening caused, then another moment to realize what Allen was going on about. Kalyan stood up to place himself in a position that left him more difficult to be spit upon by an excited outburst.

"I wasn't calling you a delinquent," Kalyan snapped, "or saying anything about the nature of your activities! I returned to discover you absent and no one at all knowing your whereabouts. I spend hours of time better spent on work searching for you, only to discover you gallivanting around with a bunch of actors in a run-down theater. The next thing I know, you're about to be squished by a falling balcony!! Did you think that I would smile and say 'Ah, well, these things happen, eh?'?!"

Kalyan's gaze burned into Allen's. "You could have died, and I was rightly upset by the fact! I wasn't blaming the black pretty-boy for the event, but I merely gave him the means in which to assure that it never happened again! I will send word of our near-disaster and a donation to the theater owner as well, if it will make you happy, but I will not stand for that to happen again!"

He heaved a sigh and sat down as Allen did, rubbing the bridge of his nose, causing his glasses to move up and down with the movement. There was a brief silence between them, and just as Kalyan opened his mouth to say more, Allen broke the silence. "I liked you much more when we were younger!" he declared, sitting up with a jump, hurriedly snatching up the heavy Shakespeare and Poe book from the table, then fleeing angrily out of the sitting room.

Kalyan watched him disappear, and then decided that he wasn't finished with their conversation. His legs were a bit longer than Allen's, and he didn't have much trouble catching up to the lad. He grabbed Allen's arm and forced him to a stop, angry now. He pushed Allen against the wall and slammed his fist less than five centimeters away from Allen's face. He stood very close to Allen, his body rigid with his rage.

"I don't much care if you liked me better when I was younger or not! This is who I am now, and who I shall be for a long time still. If you find me too cold for your tastes then get out of my house and stay out of my life. You have so much growing up to do that it is ridiculous for someone old enough to be given the title of a man!"

He sucked in a sharp breath, painful memories ebbing into the flow of his thoughts. "People change over time, Allen! It isn't anything new to you. Change is more a part of our lives than breathing. Of course, watching one's mother be mauled by wolves in the mountains during what should have been a vacation will certainly change one's way of looking at the world. Or perhaps that was weak of me, to actually be bothered over a sight! How could I think it natural?!"

At the end, Kalyan's voice took on a thick, rough edge that belied his pain, and then it vanished when he spoke again. "Forgive me for worrying," he said, returning to their previous topic. "Next time, I'll try not to waste my energy." He turned to leave, pulling away from Allen and moving stiffly, as if something hurt. This was the case, except it wasn't a physical ache....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin December 21st 2009, 11:56 am

Allen stiffened as he was whirled around, shock clearly written on his features. Shock turned into a frightened wince as the Kalyan's fist came at him, only to connect to the wall. His face automatically turned into a guarded scowl then, as if ready for Kalyan to begin yelling at him.

The rebuttal came soon enough, and he stood rigid, his jaw clenched and eyes glistening with anger, "I was at school! I always go to school at this time, I just happened to get lost today! " he cried back, face flushed, unbelieving that Kalyan didn't know his schedule after months of tutoring him. Was his father the only one who had ever actually paid him any mind?

his hands clenched around the large book he held to his chest, "What was I supposed to do, send some magical note to appear in case you finally came back home to tell you just where I was at the moment!? How was I supposed to know when you were coming back and that I wouldn't be here when you did!?"

Kalyans body language was mirrored by his own, though on Allen's it probably looked more like a cornered animal, hair o end, teeth bared and eyes glistening dangerously. With each and every word Kalyan let out, he only tightened further.

Not a man? Well of course, he knew that already. What kind of man ran away from home just because his mother decided not to speak of him? What kind of man took years to realize he had no direction in his life? What kind of man depended on other people?

Each one struck a chord within his already strained insecurities, until he was finally ready to burst out, but at Kalyan's following words, he froze, eyes widening and face growing pale.

"People change over time, Allen! It isn't anything new to you. Change is more a part of our lives than breathing. Of course, watching one's mother be mauled by wolves in the mountains during what should have been a vacation will certainly change one's way of looking at the world. Or perhaps that was weak of me, to actually be bothered over a sight! How could I think it natural?!"

What kind of man was so self absorbed that he'd never noticed something so crucial, so pivotal a change in the life of his most likely only friend. Out of all the times his family had visited Kalyan's, Mrs. Ouroboros had never been there. It had never occurred to him to him to ask why. After all, Kalyan had never seemed distraught over anything, and so Allen had taken the matriarch's absence for granted.

Anger visibly deflated and instead turned into obvious grief and self-loathing. What was he to say to that? Anything he could have said would never redeem him over the fact that he hadn't been thinking about anyone other than himself.

But he couldn't just let Kalyan leave like that! As the red head pulled away, he stepped forward, mouth working on words that even his mind could not put together. Nothing came out however, and all he could do was clench the hands around his book and stare at the floor as Kalyan walked away.

((Kal never really gave him permission to use a room for himself, lol))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* December 22nd 2009, 2:30 am

(No, he didn't give permission, but he didn't kick Allen out either, so he must not have minded too much to have him around =D)

Kalyan had taken all of three steps before the black exhaustion pulled at him again. Dizziness blasted him in the face so quickly that he staggered with the force of it. He caught himself on the wall and blinked quickly, attempting to remove the black dots from his vision. He hated having this weakness, but he would have been ill with his guilt if he had done nothing to save Allen back at the theater.

He swallowed, trying to center himself as he collected his bearings. From several rooms away, he could suddenly hear the radiograph's metallic shriek of a ring, and unease began to creep up his spine.

Kalyan sucked in a breath and stood rigidly, still half-blind by the dark specks. "Allen," he said, his voice ...off somehow. "Allen, go see who's on the radiograph, will you?"

His heartbeat picked up, and the sense of unease grew. What in the world was going on?

'Ooooooh Kalyan~!,' a familiar voice whispered through his mind, and then was gone before Kalyan could place its owner.

Confused, Kalyan stood frozen in place, blinking with a dumbfounded numbness. Surely he had imagined that voice.... But didn't that mean he was becoming insane? That didn't sound like a promising prospect....

Reality settled over him once more, and the dizziness passed. Kalyan took a moment to ground himself and think before he focused back into the room, the sound of the radiograph still ringing in the silence. He had the faintest impression that something was wrong, but that was slowly beginning to pass -just as the dizziness had.

Baffled, Kalyan looked up, searching for Allen with his eyes, unsure if he had actually went to the radiograph or not.

((Ugh, sorry that was so short and sucked >_<))
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin December 25th 2009, 7:41 pm

The telegraph shrieked, and once again, Allen was overwhelmed by that tightening in his chest. That claw-like thing that seemed so intent on squeezing him until it felt his lungs would collapse under the strain.

On impusle, or as if controlled by an outside force, his feet moved forward, following Kalyan and towards the shrilling radiograph.

He heard his name being called, and the instructions that followed, and nodded. Rigidly, he made his way out of the room and down the hall. His chest now was filled and tightened by apprehension as much as by that terrible claw, and the edges of his vision clouded by that sickening green.

What was it?! Allen almost felt like screaming out for that terrible feeling to leave him, but it only strengthened as he neared the telegraph, and the option of turning back became further and further from his pounding head.

There was the telegraph, sitting menacingly on its specially made mahogany table, the stone at its center whirring and shrieking in its visible gears. Allen reached for it, jaw clenched and heart beating so fast that it almost purred,

The ceiling above him seemed to warp, as if on rife, but no fire was to be seen. And he could feel eyes on him.

But then a whiteness clouded his vision, blowing away the green and the tight apprehension, leaving him gasping for air as if just resurfacing from the bottom of a pool. He felt a touch of coolness to his cheeks, a flash of something darker than black, and then he was once again standing in that dim hall of Kalyan's house, hand outstretched towards the still ringing radiograph.

Hastily he picked it up and pressed it to his ear, "Good Afternoon, Ouroboros Household," he stated, voice not at all betraying how shaken he felt by the whole affair.

It did not stay that way, however, as he listened to the voice on the other side.

Golden eyes widened, brows furrowed and lips pressed into a tight, thin line. A few more seconds of listening to what the person said, and he nodded, throat working to say something back, "Y-yes. I'm sure it's fine.. Of course. I'll stay out of trouble, yes. Alright. Take care of yourself. Yes, I lo-" The telegraph whirred to a stop, "-ve you," Allen finished his sentence quietly, throat catching.

He lowered the telegraph speaker and earpiece back into its holder with a shuddering breath. It took him a moment to clear the mess in his head, will away the sting in his eyes and calm himself enough so that it didnt feel like he would be choking out every word.

Finally, he was as cam as he could be at the moment, and turned, looking up to see Kalyan standing near him with that ever present furrow of his brow.

He averted his eyes, lifting a hand to tug at his pulled back hair nervously. "I'm sorry..." he said at last, realizing that he and the red head had a lot more in common than he had thought. Perhaps even more so than he still admitted to himself.

((hope you liike Merry CHristmas!))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* December 26th 2009, 7:57 am

Without putting much thought into his movements, Kalyan reached out with his hand and rustled Allen's hair gently, surprising even himself with the comforting gesture. He didn't have to ask who had been on the other end. He was simply relieved that she had at least cared enough to try and contact him to see if he'd found Allen or not.

It was an improvement, if only a small one.

"It's fine," he said softly, realizing that it actually was. He was okay with Allen and everything that came with the boy, even though sometimes Allen bit him in the ass. "You're a good kid, at heart."

He started to move away, then paused as he peered at the boy's face. He seemed so ...sad. Kalyan couldn't just walk away. He was the only person that little Allen had left to turn to now. It would be childish of him to simply shrug off the pain of one of the only people that Kalyan could call a friend.

One of Kalyan's rare smiles lit up the alchemist's face -allowing a glimpse of the boy that used to be- and he knocked Allen gently on the shoulder with his elbow to grab his attention. "Hey, how about you and I go out to eat? Your choice. You can have anything on the menu that you want; anything at all." He held up a finger. "And wait- I'll throw in a trip to the picture shows. How about it?"
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin December 30th 2009, 7:45 am

Allen was not expecting the touch to his head, but it was not an unwelcome one. There was no way he would turn away from such small comforts after what he'd just heard from his mother. No. It felt like these little gestures from Kalyan was all he had left now, and it made him want to throw himself at the older man and cling to him so that he too wouldn't leave.

A blush tainted his cheeks, courtesy of a few instances of the dreams he'd been having flashing through his head. That was not an appropriate thing to be thinking about when he and Kalyan had just been having an argument only a few minutes ago, and now said red head was being so forgiving!

The blush quickly faded away, and eyes widened at the man's words, lighting up in excitement despite the surprisingly brotherly gesture of Kalyan playfully knocking his shoulder. The picture shows?

"Really!?" he cried, the heightened octave o his voice betraying his excitement all the more.

He'd only ever gone once to the picture shows with his mother and father, and that had been... a long time ago. Or so it seemed. It seemed like a lifetime ago that he could even talk to his father...

The next words, however, were even better than any picture shows he could think of, as Kalyan blinked and looked at his things all gathered around the couch Allen had been sleeping on the past few days.

"I suppose you should choose a room to sleep in if you're going to be staying a while. It's not right for you to be sleeping in that parlor room."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* December 31st 2009, 8:02 am

"I suppose you should choose a room to sleep in if you're going to be staying a while. It's not right for you to be sleeping in that parlor room," Kalyan said as he looked at the couch. "I've got a few rooms with a bit more... modern heating in them. Father doesn't know that, though, so I'd appreciate it if you kept that in the dark, Allen," he said, putting a finger over his mouth in a hush-hush manner.

"I'll help move your things into it.... It seems that you have accumulated a good amount of belongings in here.... It's beginning to pile up. Did I buy all of this, or did you bring it in? I can't recall."

He looked over the piles of stuff in the floor and the small table before the couch, and still couldn't quite recall if he had been the one to provide all of the clothes and other items or not. Some of it -such as the Poe and Shakespeare book- was familiar to him. Others.... not so much.

"You can have your pick though. Whichever one you'd like to use is yours. If you'd rather have a fireplace, then of course you're welcome to a room with one in it."

He looked back at Allen. "Of course, all of this can wait until we return from our night out, eh?," he suggested. "Unless you'd prefer to handle it all now, so you'll know which bed to retire to tonight?" He made it a question, unsure of the one that would be Allen's preference.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin January 1st 2010, 5:50 am

Allen had begun bringing some of his things from home after Kalyan had left to bring his father home. Most of the items were textbooks and notebooks for school laying disorganized beside his book bag, and extra clothes neatly folded in a briefcases. His favorite pocket watch lay beside the book Kalyan had given him, beside the sofa where he always read it before bed, and his slippers under the small table and out of the way. It was easy to see that Allen unconsciously been preparing to stay with Kalyan all along, as if he had know that his mother would decide to leave him. At least it was better than wandering around his own house like another ghost.

In truth, the blond thought it would be better to choose his room now incase both he and Kalyan were too tired after their night out to move his things when they got back. He stated his mind out loud, and smiled shyly, feeling as if he's imposing on the usually cold red head.

"It's your house, so if you could point me to a room that wouldn't get in the way or would be convenient for you.." the blond said, then blushed as images of his recent dreams once again reminded him on how "convenient" a room close to Kalyan's could be, "Anything that wont disturb you at night or when you're working if I can't sleep. I tend to pace..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* January 1st 2010, 6:11 am

Kalyan was amused to think that Allen would disturb him when he was sleeping. He scooped up a good amount of Allen's things and headed in the direction of the guest bedroom that lay only down the hall from Kalyan's own bedroom. He opened the door and strode in, putting the items away neatly as he spoke to the boy.

"This is far enough away that I won't hear your pacing," Kalyan said, finishing the rest of the thought in his mind. If Allen had a nightmare or got frightened by the noises that the house sometime made, then Kalyan would be able to hear him scream. "If you need me at night, don't be afraid to come knock on my door. Insomnia runs in my family, so chances are I'll be awake if you come. If I don't answer immediately, just come in and wake me. I won't mind."

He looked up from little Allen's things and sighed. The majority of it was in there now, put neatly into place.

"That desk over against the far wall is yours to use as you like -for schoolwork and such.... The heat comes from the boiler in the basement. The pipes behind the walls funnel the heat up into the room, so it'll always be warm in here. If you need the heat adjusted, just tell me and I'll fix it."

He glanced over the room, wondering if he forgot anything. "If you decide you want to change the decor or want the sheets changed, we'll go buy you some new sheets or paint to put on the walls. Maybe even some little trinkets to make this look more like someone's bedroom rather than keep the walls and shelves so bare...."

He turned back to Allen, his eyes teasing. "Any questions, concerns, belligerent denials, or scathing accusations? Because I'm getting hungry, and you're starting to look like a pork chop."
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin January 4th 2010, 8:12 am

Allen let out a small sound of protest, as if about to cry for Kalyan to wait for him, but instead hurriedly picked up the remainder of his things and followed the red head towards his new bedroom.

It was much bigger than his own at home, with a larger window, grander bed and even a good sized secretary desk. Allen stared. His own house had been more the size of a small cottage, with only space enough in each room for the bed and a wardrobe. Allen's homework was usually done in the parlor room after supper, when his mother would sit down in her favorite rocking chair to read one of her medical books, and his father would sit at a small table to carve something near the fire. Those times were filled with light conversation between the pockets of silence each of them used to focus on their individual activities. Allen had become accustomed to those small, warm times, and now the thought of doing his homework alone in his room was a little depressing.

That feeling was washed away, however, as Kalyan explained just how the room had seemed so warm to him despite there being no sign of fireplace in the room. The blond could only nod as he tried to understand just how the heat could travel so far from it's source.

Finally, at Kalyan's last offer, he smiled and blushed softly, feeling his chest flutter just a bit at his friend's generosity. He was sure he would be extremely happy if the red head just continued being so kind as he was now, "Thank you, Kalyan... You're being so kind even after I was so rude to you..."
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* January 18th 2010, 6:19 am

Kalyan's smile faded slightly, and he placed a gentle hand on Allen's shoulder. "There is one thing in life that is absolutely certain: We all shall eventually fail in some fashion or another. Everyone fails, everyone gets hurt. The inevitable truth is that everyone around you, at some point, shall cause you pain. The difference between friends and enemies is the ones you deem worth the agony and the ones you hate for it."

He peered at Allen's face a moment, studying, his expression a thoughtful frown. "You are so much like you're father, Allen. In your face as well as your attitude and mind-set. You'll make a wonderful man someday soon."

He grinned and gave little Allen a small squeeze of a hug, then stepped back. "Now! Off we go to eat, and then a picture show!" He twirled about and half-dashed out of the room, only admitting to himself how his eyes had been wanting to fall to Allen's perfect lips and linger there... and what he'd wanted to do to them when little Allen blushed....

Oooooooh, he was SO going to Hell.... Lusting after children was not acceptable in any religion, especially children of the same sex....
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin January 22nd 2010, 8:16 am

((Im kinda stuck! What say you we put this part on hiatus and continue where we left off with the other one? once they're out of the Dream World?))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* January 25th 2010, 6:01 am

((That'll work <3 ^_^))
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin August 9th 2010, 8:02 am

((OK, I have a whole timeline planned out, i hope you dont mind. So, lik ein order to keep this goin can we pretend Ashley didnt leave yet? I need her around to cause more angst for Allen and Kal, and if we could pretend that Kal also hasnt confronted her about her neglect? I want her to defend herself later by saying something about how wrong it is for Kalyan to be looking at Allen the way he is *she notices that Kal and Al like each other and feels its a betrayal of Terrance's memory.* Also, she's gonna think Allen in insensitive when he buries himself in the troupe, and after she has that argument with Kal is when she leaves. ALSO.. lol... if things could stay tense between Al and Kal, like a tense relationship is starting? Like sometimes they get along very well, but then Allen's depression gets on Kal's nerves sometimes, or Kal's grumpiness makes Allen frustrated, kinda like that, and if we could pretend that Allen never moved in, he's still living at home, but he just comes over very often to Kal's house. He'll move in once Ashley leaves. and then we can have that scene where Kal asks Allen if he can sleep in his room.))

((OK, so pretending it never happened, Allen just found the troupe, Ashley's still at home, depressed and zombie-loke, Kal is still tense around him, and Allen is realizing his love for Drama *thanks to the book that Kal gave him. we can say that the book gave him a spark of hope and Al went back home to see if he could continue to try to be there for his mom))

Two months had passed since Allen had bumped into Josephine on the way home from the university, and in the days following, he had found himself drawn back to the theater every day. It was a wonderful distraction from the pain in his chest, the emptiness left behind by his father's death and his mother's emotional catatonia. The theater was delightfully chaotic every single time he visited, and he was always welcomed by Jo and Aldrik's troupe with open arms and a job to do. And recently, those jobs were not only to keep him occupied. Allen had somehow proved himself to be of actual help to the troupe with his voice.

It was in the second day of the troupe's showing that both the narrator and his two back ups had caught a cold, sending poor Aldrik into hysterics. If not for Jo having the brilliant idea of having Allen help the actors rehearse a week prior, Aldrik would never have agreed to let the blond on stage those initial crutial minutes. He had warily, and quickly, packed Allen's arms full of his costume, after which Jo had happily shoved him towards the curtain.

Jo had been the only one not surprised by how well Allen's voice had carried across the stage and over the audience, and from then on he had been added to the group of Narrators. Aldrik had confided to Allen that he would most likely be given a part in the next play as well if he kept up the good work.

At the moment though, Allen was lounging on Kalyan's couch, reading the book the red head had given him with an expression of rapt attention. It was the fifth time he had read through it, but Allen never got bored of either authors.

A sound coming from towards the front door made him look up curiously. He leaned back slightly, trying to see who had come in, but saw no one walking through the foyer.

"Kalyan?" he called, somewhat doubtful it was his tutor. He was sure Kalyan had gone out to the research hospital to leave his most recent report. It usually took him a few hours to get back, "Mr. Ouroboros?" No answer.

Frowning, Allen stood from the couch, suddenly feeling his chest tighten a bit. Stupid Allen, startling at the smallest sounds! You're just like a teenage girl! he chastised himself, moving towards the foyer. There was nobody in sight and the front door was firmly locked. He was sure he would have seen someone entering through the front door from where he had been sitting, and yet, he was positive he had heard the front door open and shut...

"...must be hearing things," he muttered to himself. But then, the sound came again! Allen jumped at the distinct sound of a door opening and closing, the doorknob turning and jostling as someone let it go.

Allen whirled around, golden eyes wide and sweeping. His breath quickened despite the mental rebukes for letting himself startle so easily, and the Ouroboros mansion seemed to grow ominously around him. The sound had come from a certain door this time. The door to the room he had been forbidden access to since Kalyan had appropriated it. Kalyan's lab. And somebody was in there.

"...Kal?" Allen called quietly, using the man's pet name that had been quarantined to only his private thoughts since Kalyan had started studying Alchemy.

No answer, and the foyer seemed to grow even larger and colder even as his chest seemed to shrink around his lungs as he slowly stepped closer to the lab door. As quietly as he could, he lofted his hand to the doorknob, and panstakingly slow, turned it.

It was locked.

He gave a ragged, relieved sigh. The lab could only be locked from the outside. Or at least by the doorknob. He was sure Kalyan used a deadbolt when he was working on particularly "noisy" concoctions, but left the doorknob lock alone.

His relief quickly fled with his brearth and was replaced by a confused panic when he heard a rustling that could only have com from the other side of the lab door. It was the unmistakable sound of someone moving around in there... and climbing the stairs towards Allen. One heavy, menacing, step after another, closer, and somehow Allen could not move.

Could not breathe.

The lock clicked, beneath Allen's hand, and the doorknob slowly began to turn, jerkily, as if in tune to the hammering of Allen's heart.

((dunno if you want Kalyan to come just in time as Allen begins opening the door ^^))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 19th 2010, 7:30 pm

Yeah, I'm sorry. All of these changes and back-tracks have me confused. I'm not really sure what direction we are headed in anymore. @_@ Halp?

-> Until I get the feel back, I'm probably going to have fairly short posts. I'm sorry!! And there's something all kinds of weird going on with the background and layouts.... It blocks the text sometimes and makes it really hard to see. Is there any way to fix that?
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 20th 2010, 10:12 pm

Just then, the front door burst open, and a very hassled-looking Kalyan stomped across the threshold. He seemed slightly rumpled, as though someone had been grappling with his clothes. His hair was wind-blown, his cheeks red from the air’s sting. He blinked with narrowed eyes, struggling to adjust his vision to the dimness of the building after being in the bright outdoors.

When, at last, his sight cleared, it rested on Allen. His eyes widened, moved to Allen’s hand on the door knob, and then narrowed once more. He used his foot to shut the door, with one slow, deliberate movement. He drew in a deep breath with his nose, his chest puffing up, then let he let it out.

Slowly, he glided over to Allen and gracefully plucked the boy’s shaking hand from the knob, placing himself between the boy and the door.

“Little Allen,” Kalyan began, his voice deceptively cool. “What have I told you about going into my lab?” Even as he spoke, he stepped a little closer to Allen in hopes of putting more distance between him and the door.
*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin October 21st 2010, 8:15 am

Allen almost shouted at Kalyan's sudden entrance. He stood there, frozen, eyes almost popping out of his skill as Kalyan approached him, like a wolf stalking his prey. Oh Allen knew the situation did not look promising at all, especially when his had was taken from the doorknob and his skin seemed to burn as he realized what Kalyan must be thinking of him. It was more than confirmed by the man's question uttered so coolly.

"I-I'm sorry!" he blurted, wide eyes rising to meet Kalyan's for a moment of confusion before fixing themselves back on the door. He realized then how it sounded, and tried again, "There's somebody inside! Somebody or something, I could swear to you I heard noise from the other side of that door, Kalyan!"

He shrank back, however, stumbling slightly as Kalyan used his greater height to impose himself into Allen's personal space. Knowing Kalyan was angry only added to the anxiety that such close quarters usually made him feel. Usually was the key word, for at the moment Allen was fighting a shortness of breath, and a blush that threatened to steal across his whole face. Fighting, and losing miserably.

"I didn't go inside," he insisted, "I promise!"

((short posts be good. I tend to start feeling daunted when posts get longer and longer, and then i just stop knowing what to put.. lol))
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  *~MoE~* October 21st 2010, 8:07 pm

Kalyan was momentarily taken aback by the boy's comment, and the anger that heated his eyes a moment before vanished, succumbing to surprised puzzlement. "Someone is in my lab? Impossible." He turned away from Allen and approached the door, in contrast to what he had said, and placed his ear to the wood, listening for any sounds of movement. When he heard nothing, he turned back to Allen, his expression suspicious. "This had better not be a ruse to prevent yourself from getting into trouble."

With that, he slithered through the door, maneuvering himself so that Allen could not see into the darkness beyond the door as Kalyan entered his lab. He moved swiftly down the stairs, his only sound the soft whisper of his clothing rubbing together. He stalked the darkness for a moment, examining each crack and crevice as he moved along. He knew this area well enough to know -even in the dark- that nothing had been moved. He was diligent in his search, and found no other living being within the area.

Frowning, he went back up the stairs just as swiftly as he had gone down them, a thoughtful expression on his face. When he emerged from the lab, he locked the door behind him and peered at Allen. Nothing had been touched. No intruder -known or otherwise- had been down there. Whether or not Allen had been lying about the noise was irrelevant now. He had told the truth about not going down there, and Kalyan wasn't going to deal the boy a hard blow for that which he had not done.

Still, Kalyan was somewhat puzzled. Allen was quite obvious in many ways. So easily read. Yet, at moments like these, Kalyan was never sure what the boy was thinking, nor why. Had this been Allen's way of getting attention? He couldn't be sure.

"There was nothing and no one down there," Kalyan said slowly. "I simply don't know what you are trying to get at, Little Allen."

*~MoE~*
*~MoE~*

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next